2/22/2013

Bubble Watch

In case you missed my big announcement earlier in the week, please check out this post that will explain what all this Selection Sunday stuff is all about. I think this could be really cool if we get a lot of people involved and interacting with one another, so please help spread the word and forward that link! I'll be unveiling the bracket this coming Sunday starting at 5 p.m.

Anyway, I wanted to give out a few more details. I have decided instead of having the higher-seeded teams host games through the first two rounds, I will have neutral sites for every game. I'll put those on the bracket, but you can expect to see a lot of the big cities in Kansas as host cities. It should be a lot of fun.

Also, in the spirit of loving the underdog, I will automatically enter 16 teams from Classes 3A, 2A and 1A. I am excluding Scott City because I feel like it is safely in the field as an at-large team. Class 3A will be represented by Nemeha Valley (19-1), Atchison County (20-0), Humboldt (20-0), Beloit (18-2), Silver Lake (18-2), Phillipsburg (17-1) and Cheney (17-3). Class 2A will be represented by Meade (19-0), Republic County (17-3), Lyndon (18-1), Bennington (19-1) and Marais des Cygnes Valley (18-1). Class 1A will be represented by St. John (19-1), South Haven (18-2), Fowler (20-0) and Central Christian (15-3).

So that brings me to the topic of this post: the Bubble Watch. Since 16 spots are already accounted for in the 64-team tournament, that leaves 48 berths open. From my calculations, I will seriously take a look at 64 teams for those 48 spots.

Click the jump to find out who is already locked into the tournament and who is on my "Bubble Watch."



Here's who I think are firm locks to make my tournaments:

Class 6A (16): BV North, BV Northwest, BV West, Derby, Dodge City, Gardner-Edgerton, Lawrence, Olathe East, Olathe Northwest, Olathe South SM East, SM Northwest, SM West, Wichita East, Wichita Heights & Wichita North.
Class 5A (11): Andover, Andover Central, Bishop Miege, BV Southwest, Emporia, Goddard Eisenhower, KC Washington, Kapaun Mount Carmel, Lansing, Mill Valley & SM South.
Class 4A (6): Andale, Hesston, McPherson, Ottawa, Topeka Highland Park & Wamego.
Class 3A (1): Scott City.

So if you're keeping count at home, that's 34 more spots locked down and leaves 14 open berths available to some combination of the following 30 teams:

Class 6A (8): Blue Valley, Garden City, Hutchinson, Lawrence Free State, Manhattan, Washburn Rural, Wichita Northwest & Wichita Southeast.
Class 5A (9): Bishop Carroll, Hays, KC Harmon, KC Schlagle, Salina Central, St. James Academy, St. Thomas Aquinas, Topeka Seaman & Wichita West.
Class 4A (13): Abilene, Anderson County, Baldwin, Clearwater, Coffeyville, Concordia, El Dorado, Holton, Independence, KC Piper, Labette County, Rock Creek, Wamego & Wichita Trinity.

Which 14 teams from that above group do you think deserve a spot to play for the title? Let me know by leaving a comment below! Or shoot me a Tweet here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog